STARTUP.COM is the site-independent startup command procedure supplied with OpenVMS. It uses a series of command procedures, executable images, and database files to perform the following startup tasks:
- Define systemwide logical names required for the symbolic debugger, language processors, linker, image activator, and help processor.
- Start processes that control error logging, SMISERVER (the system management server), the job controller, the operator log file, and security uditing.
- Connect devices that are physically attached to the system by invoking the SYCONFIG.COM procedure.
- Configure devices and load their I/O drivers.
- Install known images to reduce I/O overhead in activating the most commonly run images or to identify images that must have special privileges.
Site-specific startup command procedures
STARTUP.COM executes the following site-specific startup command procedures in this order: