MODES is a class of statistics displayed by the MONITOR utility. It contains the following items:
- Interrupt Stack (Interrupt State on Alpha and I64 systems): time spent on the interrupt stack (on VAX systems) or in an interrupt state on a kernel stack (on Alpha and I64 systems).
- MP Synchronization: time spent synchronizing multiple CPUs (applicable to multiprocessor systems only).
- Kernel Mode: time spent in kernel mode, but not in an interrupt state.
- Executive Mode: time spent in executive mode.
- Supervisor Mode: time spent in supervisor mode.
- User Mode: time spent in user mode executing instructions.
- Compatibility Mode: time spent executing compatibility mode instructions. (This data item is meaningful only for VAX systems.)
- Idle Time: time not spent in any of the other modes.