System startup is a complex of events that occur when an OpenVMS system is booted.
1. Start the CLUSTER_SERVER process.
2. Define logical names needed for basic operations and install images listed in SYS$MANAGER:VMSIMAGES.DAT.
3. Execute SYCONFIG.COM.
4. Add any new drivers by executing AUTOCONFIGURE ALLVAX/IO AUTOCONFIGUREAlpha and I64
5. Install the primary swap file, if the file is present.
7. Execute SYLOGICALS.COM. At this point, all the devices are available either through the AUTOCONFIGURE command or through the CONFIGURE process.
8. If the system is a satellite node in a VAXcluster or an OpenVMS Cluster environment, execute SATELLITE_PAGE.COM to install page and swap files on a local disk. SATELLITE_PAGE.COM is created when you execute the CLUSTER_CONFIG.COM procedure.
9. Execute SYPAGSWPFILES.COM.
10. Perform the following steps in no specified order:
- Install required images
- Start various operating system processes (OPCOM, CACHE_SERVER, ERRFMT, JOBCTL)
- Execute SYSECURITY.COM and starts the AUDIT_SERVER process
- On VAX systems, start the SECURITY_SERVER which manages the proxy database and intrusion database
- Start the LMF and load all appropriate PAK from the LMF database.
11. Perform the following steps in no specified order:
The order of the startup phases is determined in the database file VMS$PHASES.DAT.